If I appear obsessed with grain salads, it's true, I am. But before I move onto the next best thing, I need to share this recipe.
I promise it's the best one yet - Springtime in a bowl! The barley makes it plenty filling but adding chicken or salmon makes it dinner. You could also substitute farro or pearl cous cous.
I started with this tasty recipe I spotted in the SF Chronicle and made a few tweaks. I used barley because that's what I had on hand, English peas because I didn't have time to shell and blanch fava beans and a Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette because it kicks up the bright flavors big time - especially compared to just olive oil and vinegar.
Spring Greens + Barley Salad
- 2 cups cooked barley (I like the quick-cook brand from Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups frozen peas rinsed and thawed
- 2-3 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch green onions sliced into 1/4 pieces
- Handful of chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 T lemon zest for garnish
Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of agave nectar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Blend first 5 ingredients thoroughly and then slowly add oil to emulsify.
Toss all ingredients in a large bowl or roomy platter, garnish with lemon zest and enjoy!